Tips to Avoid Identity Theft
The Attorney General's office has recommended the following tips to avoid Identity Theft and to take action if you are a victim:
• Avoid unprotected Wi-Fi.
• Shop at familiar online retailers and look for “https” at the start of the URL, indicating the site is secure.
• Avoid phishing emails that pose as financial institutions or the IRS, and don’t click on any links or enter personal information.
• Use updated security software on all computers and cellphones.
• Use strong passwords.
• Encrypt and password-protect sensitive data.
If you’re a victim:
• File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at identitytheft.gov.
• Contact any of the three credit bureaus and place a fraud alert on your credit records: www.equifax.com; www.experian.com; www.transunion.com.
• If you’re a victim of tax-related identity theft, contact the IRS.